Tuesday, October 02, 2007

NEW from The Reinventing the Wheel Series -

"Reinventing the Wheel V"
$50 Unframed - LUCAS GALLERY

digital collage by Mick Mather
I have a particular pair of software programs in the Secret Visual Laboratory, one an editor and the other a generator, that I've been neglecting lately. I started fiddling around with both of them again and while enjoying hour upon hour of cheap fun, look what happened! I wasn't expecting much of anything as I sat contemplating complex formulas, adjusting "X" and tweaking "Y" while layering inverse RGB backgrounds mottled with an array of throttling tools! Anyway, here's another study for The Reinventing the Wheel Series. I've been invited to join Vincent Fitches in his studio this Autumn and Winter to finally get some of these into the large-scale format of paintings that I've been rumored to produce for months now. To get a peek at the other three studies posted over the summer go here, here and here. :)

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger SusuPetal said...

This is somewhat disturbingly geometrical, I don't know if I like it or not. Hmm, I have to think about this...

Maybe too geometrical? This can depend of my rather edgy mood just now...need some wine to cure that! And then maybe this pic gets more blurred:))

9:21 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

I had to think about this one for quite a while myself, so I can understand the turmoil. In the end, even for me, there's a lot happening below the obvious surface that makes this work for me ... aside from the concept of the series.

That said, shall I pour us each a nice Syrah? We should sit quietly, contemplating this piece until we accept it or go completely mad! :D

4:48 PM  
Blogger hpy said...

I see a boat on the sea.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

hpy:
Thanks for this viewpoint - the beauty of abstraction is what different people bring to, or take away from, the work. I see it too - perhaps this should be renamed "Reinventing the Ship's Wheel."

4:09 AM  
Blogger SusuPetal said...

How much can one drink and not change opinion, ha ha:))
Anyway, I'll drink to that.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Save My Studies said...

I've always wondered how a fly would view a sinking ship and now I know- Thanks.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Elegia said...

Sinking ship with sinking sun. I know it's not, but I like to see it that way.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

susupetal:
I think it depends on what we're drinking. On the other hand, having a reputation as a cheap drunk, probably 1 drink would do it! :D

robert:
Help me! Help me!
(spoken in a squeaky, Vincent Price voice from the popular, sci-fi, horror movie - what movie? I bet Elegia knows!) :D

elegia:
As I mention above, the beauty is in what we each bring to a work such as this. Susu and I are bringing alcoholic beverages! :)

10:49 AM  
Blogger *Itkupilli* said...

Strong with primary colors and Black&white...so dynamic, interesting composition...I see something oriental...rising sun...at least. Not typical for you...I like more typical you, though this is nicely confusing.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

itkupillii:
I say thanks with my usual blush for this comment. I can see the eastern quality that you allude to and you're also quite correct about this being so very untypical of my usual work. I think all of the pieces in the series are untypical but, as an autumn/winter project to commit a few of them to large-scale, painted works, it's a step that I need to take right now. :)

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home